“We are currently building our membership and attract support from those involved in business, politics and the arts. I hope you will participate in some of our many activities and if you are not already a member, consider joining the BGA”.
Stephen Watson, BGA Chairman
The aim of the Association is to strengthen the relationship between Britain and Germany by creating understanding and forging links.
The Association is at the heart of the UK-German relationship, actively seeking to improve understanding and facilitate contacts. The BGA has an extensive network of contacts and affiliations, across business, with the diplomatic community, politics and culture.
Britain has also emerged as Germany’s most important trading partner. Trade in goods and services between the UK and Germany has soared in recent years. For German companies, the UK is now their biggest investment destination.
The British-German Association is a membership organisation, founded in 1951. Its formal purpose is to:
- Increase membership both British and German at all levels and all ages, to engage with wider society and at the same time stimulate its relationship with Affiliated Societies throughout Britain.
- To provide an annual Programme of Events of various kinds designed to promote understanding and foster friendship.
- To support its primary charitable endeavour, Youthbridge, seeking to promote and support the teaching of the German language in UK state schools. We also seek to promote ‘school twinning’ & exchange visits, as a catalyst for future friendship.
- To take a ‘public position’ when necessary on matters affecting British-German relations.
- To support the British and German business communities in the development of trade and commercial links.
- To assist in realising these aims, to cooperate with the German Embassy in London and the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office.